22 January 2013

Piracy

Whenever I see the government making up figures about how much piracy is affecting the world, it makes me smile. Take 5 minutes researching it on the internet, and you'll see the propaganda is substantiated from years of hard work and yet none-existent studies.

Sure, I'm not advocating piracy. It is no doubt damaging the media industry. But it is also helping it at the same time. If the companies decided to mitigate the damage piracy does as opposed to outright denying it; they'd make a lot more progress. For example, why not create a media outlet on the internet that's easy to access and grants you everything piracy does except with better quality, faster downloads, and numerous accessibility that just can't be matched with piracy? Slap on a monthly fee, and you'll see piracy noticeably drop. Well done, Netflix.

Moreover, if a person downloads a film they wouldn't buy or couldn't afford anyway; does that still count as piracy? Yes. But it's not stealing money from the industry, is it? That aside, I know people who have torrented a movie, found it a great watch- then purchased it. I asked them if they'd of bought it without watching it first- nope.

Anyway, here's some amusing pictures I look to whenever I read a bunch of fluff articles with inflated made up numbers on pirates:







No comments:

Post a Comment